It happened again! My beautiful rose quartz crystal broke. As it fell to the ground this morning shattering one piece off of its perfectly sculpted merkaba design, I felt my heart shatter with it too. This is the fourth rose quartz that has broken in my vicinity and today, only today I understand there is a message for me in it.
The first time I cannot remember the timeline but it was between 2013-2014. I visited India in March 2012 and bought beautiful rose quartz mala beads. Oh how I loved it! It was so beautiful and polished and felt so loving in my fingers. I would wear that particular set more for show and less for chanting as I used my rudraksha beads for that. I was so heartbroken when the mala beads broke and because it was so long ago, I don’t remember how it did. I did entrust it to a friend to repair but to this day I have not seen my beloved mala beads again. I know some of you might think, well simply call the girl and ask her back for your beads! Well I did, several times but to no avail. I figured it was Spirit’s way of saying to me, this is no longer for you. So I obliged.
The second time a rose quartz piece broke for me was exactly a year ago when my partner and I drove down to Georgia to teach a Reiki I class. I wear crystal bracelets on my wrist and after we wrapped up our trip and was getting on the road to head back home, my beautiful bracelet got tangled up with some other stuff and when I pulled on it, the whole thing fell apart. In the parking lot of Subway where we stopped to get sandwiches for our trip home. At the time I didn’t think anything of it because it was a bracelet given to me from a friend who was no longer in my life. I felt that whatever connection was between us was over and in it being over, the bracelet no longer needed to be with me.
The third time involved my rose quartz pendulum. I had taken it out for mentorship class one month and admired its beauty and in that short space of time, it easily and gracefully fell from my hands and broke the tip off the pendulum. Sigh.
It is only today however that I have put together that four times the same stone broke for me! Now I still have rose quartz in my home in its natural rock shape but it seems whenever I try to wear it, it just jumps off of me. What to make of it?
If you google articles on this topic you will find a whole host of answers as to why stones break. I tend to believe and follow the 5 reasons below as to why a stone breaks in your possession. Here they are:
1) You no longer need that particular vibration/outgrew it: When we are drawn to a stone, it is said spiritually we are seeking something we don’t have within ourselves and by having the stone, it helps to fill us up. So if you needed protection and took to wearing a hematite bracelet and it breaks, the understanding is that you have fulfilled your own protective measures and can stand in your power now.
2) The attachment to the person is over: Sometimes people give us gifts (not only stones) and when it breaks, it is a signal from Spirit that the connection is over. I remember I had a very rocky relationship with an ex boyfriend for two years and towards the end, I was packing my suitcase and a very expensive bottle of perfume he gave me broke. My mom laughed and said “Well I guess that’s over.” She was so right! A couple weeks later it was over for us.
3) It is saturated with negative energy: If you chose a stone for healing, wonderful! That is what healing stones like to do! So if you are conscientously using it every day with intent, the stone will respond by removing some of that negative energy from you until it is filled at which point it will shatter or break. It is not advisable to keep the stones around after this cause because it needs to be disposed of.
4) It does not resonate with our energy: This reason occurs more at the beginning of a relationship as in when you first buy it and within a couple of hours or days, it breaks. The stone is saying to you, we do not match! For example, if someone bought rose quartz and soon after it broke, we can see how the qualities of rose quartz is love and compassion and it will not blend well with someone who has a temperamental and judging attitude.
5) Divine Intervention: and sometimes Spirit/Angels/Guides/Deceased loved ones just want to plain get your attention! It could have been your favorite amethyst they broke or a lamp, just look at me! In this situation when something breaks, stop and close your eyes. Do you feel anything? Do you hear anything? This is how you decide whether there was an entity involved or not.
Regardless of the reason, broken crystals need to be either fixed if they can be or disposed of. With my beloved rose quartz crystals, I bury them in my yard so their unconditional love and beauty can still be a part of my home and life.
So what do I think is happening for me with my own stones? I went with #1. In each scenario I was involved in some sort of spiritual activity (chanting, Reiki, teaching and now daily sadhana) and I do feel like I am growing spiritually with all these activities. I guess it is a price I have to pay as I steadily continue along my path, but you know it is also a lesson for me. To always remember to not be attached to anything or anyone in this life.
Today I bury my rose quartz pieces but my spirit is lifted as Spirit gives me confirmation I am on the right path. And so it is.
Until next time,
Love and Light,